Saturday, February 16, 2013

Clare


Today was officially my first trip outside of Dublin. I've been craving countryside ever since I set foot here. Dublin is great, but, just as I experienced in Scotland, the big cities, magnificent as they are, don't enclose not even a gram of the beauty and greatness these islands possess. I knew I'd love it. That's why I couldn't wait any longer and booked a one day Paddy Wagon tour to County Clare. I've been told Clare is one of the most touristic counties in Ireland and that's easily understandable having in account its breathtaking natural scenery.

In a Paddy Wagon tour you get to travel in a 30 people or so bus with an incredibly passionate, funny and true to its roots irish guide that tells you all you need to know about the places you visit, gives you some very interesting information on Ireland's History, sings songs, tells jokes and above all keeps you in a good mood. I had a similar experience on a weekend tour with Wild in Scotland last Summer and it is without a doubt my favourite way of travelling through the countryside, resting assured that I'll get to see everything there is to see, learn and above all have a good time. Highly recommend it!

We left Dublin at 7 am. It was quite painful waking up so early on a Saturday after an intense work week, but it was all worth it! First stop was Dunguaire Castle, right outside Kinvara, a small town very well known for its hookers! Yes, I know what you're thinking, but the hookers i'm referring to are the Galway traditional fishing boats that are usually at Kinvara's bay, celebrating the traditional sailing craft. 

Dunguaire Castle was built in the 1500's by the Normans and to me its beauty comes not only from its mystic architecture, but also from the gorgeous lake beside it.


Dunguaire Castle Lake
Dunguaire Castle
Dunguaire Castle Lake
View over Kinvara 

Next stop was at Corcomroe Abbey. Built in the 12th century by the celtic king Donal Mor O'Brien, this picturesc abbey is fascinating by its beauty and the fact that it's located in a very secluded and isolated place. It is said that this is due to the fact that the Christian monks searched for places like this so they could become self-sufficient and maintain free from the contact with society.


View from Corcomroe Abbey

Corcomroe Abbey

Corcomroe Abbey

Their dead were buried inside and out of the abbey and you can still see the stunning and well preserved statuary marking the graves.

Graveyard at Corcomroe Abbey

Child's Grave at Corcomroe Abbey

Corcomroe Abbey

On the way out I found these adorable horses in the pasture by the abbey and couldn't resist to play with them for a bit. 

Horses in the pasture by Corcomroe Abbey
Celtic Cross at Corcomroe Abbey

And the journey continued as we then headed to the so-called  Baby Cliffs, Cliffs of Moher's little brothers.





And the view was breathtaking...



Baby Cliffs

Baby Cliffs

Baby Cliffs


After a break for lunch we finally arrived to the Cliffs of Moher, one of the world's greatest natural atractions. I was already impressed by the Baby Cliffs, but when I saw this I was completely in awe contemplating such a magnificent view... Even more so having in account that this was one of the sets of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! *.*

Cliffs of Moher

Cliffs of Moher Tower

View from the Cliffs of Moher

Cliffs of Moher

Cliffs of Moher

View from the Cliffs of Moher

I absolutely loved the Cliffs! The only bad part was how cold and windy that place is. The guide told us that last week they had to close them for safety purposes, because it was so windy people could actually fly away...

Last stop: Bunratty Castle, a 15th century Norman Castle with military architecture that delights all of those who, like me, are fascinated by the medieval ages. In here you can experience a true four course medieval banquet accompanied by harp and violin enchanting melodies. It's definitely something I would like to experience sometime...

Bunratty Castle


Bunratty Castle

 But for now I'll stick with some refreshments in Durty Nelly's, one of Ireland's most famous pubs since 1620 and a trully delightful place.


Durty Nelly's Pub
Durty Nelly's Pub

We arrived in Dublin at around 7 pm, 12 hours after the adventure began. I was tired but really happy because I saw so many beautiful places today and the weather was surprisingly good! It was raining when we left Dublin, but the stars aligned and we experienced a lovely day with very little rain and just a couple of clouds, which are a very important part of Ireland's mysticism after all.

I will definitely keep this day dearly in my memory and hopefuly there will be more to come!



No comments:

Post a Comment